Sunday, June 8, 2008

#006 - Dad's Glazed Noggin

Glazed Noggin

This piece was also created back in 1999. It was originally a requirement for a merit badge (yes, I was in boy scouts--and cherrish many memories). It stipulated that it had to be a realistic depiction of a human head. Dad's birthday was coming up so I chose to make it a gift to him in the process. All shaped using everything I could grab from a single slab of clay. Original piece had glasses, but they didn't survive the first firing so they were removed. I love how it came out.

The glaze was pre-coated with iron-oxide* and them a reactive agent glaze over that to add definition to the lines and impurities on the surface.

* - It's been almost 10 years, so Ican't be 100% sure. I know I lost 3 of my favotire shirts to the dribbles of the stuff staining the fabric.

No comments: