Sunday, June 8, 2008

#005 - Kokopelli, flute player

Kokopelli

I love this piece. I made this in 1999 in Mrs. Tschoerner's art class. I found that I loved sculpting, and not to shabby at it if I do say so myself. We had gone all over the four-corner's area the previous summer vacation and I was on a kokopelli trip as far as references (possible other artwork to be scanned and added in the future) were concerned.

One problem did arise in firing. The base was too thick even after scraping it and shaping it, so it swelled just enough to break the figure off his perch. Thus the work was glued on and painted instead of a glaze. The colors were based on a 'sunset vase' I had a clipart on: yellow on one side, red on the other, and equal fading through orange to connect them.

I have a rough outline for a follow-up piece in a different medium if I ever get around to it.

No comments: